7 Signs That You're In Depression
How To Overcome It
Depression is not feeling down for an hour out of your day. It’s not something to be glorified. It’s not beautiful.
Depression is being on the brink of tears because you dropped your glass of water. It’s not having the urge to clean up the mess, rather you fall on the floor and cry.
Depression and panic attacks is one extreme to another.
You’re either so high with happiness or so down that you doubt the world will have color again. But this would have to change. First you have to find that you’re depressed or not.
Note: This blog is made for educational purposes only. And if you suspect that you may have depression or any mental health condition, we highly recommend to seek for a professional diagnosis.
7 Signs That You Are In Depression
Read these point and try to relate them with you.
- Bottling Your Emotions- You are really sad but you smile in front of others.
- Neglecting Friends or Hobbies- You’re neglecting your friends or things you enjoy.
- You keep yourself busy- You want yourself to be busy because you want to ignore something painful.
- Change in Appetite- You’re eating less or over eating nowadays.
- Low Self Esteem- You are having thoughts like “I haven’t achieved anything” or “How bad I am”.
- Decrease in Hygiene- You are so sad that you just want to ignore your cleanliness.
- Irritability- Do you get irritated really quick nowadays? Maybe you even get aggressive sometimes.
If you are experiencing these symptoms for more than a week… maybe you’re in depression. But maybe you’re struggling in life nowadays or something else. See…
You’re the sky. Depression, frustration, sadness are these passing clouds. They come, they go. Some are black, Some are white. Sometimes they pepper the sky and sometimes they fill the sky.
They just come and go. And they even they seem like it but not the sky.
Depression? Or Something Else
If you think you pass all those 7 signs. But still maybe it’s not depression but something else. We have 3 situations, if you’re going through, maybe it’s not depression.
- Changes in body: If you’re young, and feeling sad or having mood swings. Maybe it’s hormones not depression. But it’s only common if it’s goes for only 1 week or 2.
- Isolated- If you’re on social media all the time, and isolated all the time. That’s why you’re feeling depressed. Go outside talk to people or call someone for a while. It’s not depression, it’s mental isolation.
- Struggling in life- If you’re struggling in life, it’s common. Maybe you’re actually in depression. But Hey, Is it the right time to be depressed? It’s OK for 1-2 week but after that you have to take a step.
So it’s OK if you’re struggling.I’m struggling!
I lost 8 people whom i knew very closely, to death this year. Sleeping through the night was almost impossible. Getting through an hour without anxiety was almost impossible.
Feeling like I hadn’t completely lost myself was almost impossible. But, I didn’t wanted to be like this, I wanted to be real, I wanted to be brave. But I was afraid.
Then one of my favorite book series- Game of Thrones, helped me through this. There’s a dialogue in it:
“Can a man be brave if he’s afraid?
- That is the only time a man can be brave.”
This quote taught me that courage is not the absence of fear. It is acting in spite of fear.
What to do if I am in depression
Hey if you’re feel you’re feeling depressed. The things below could help you:
- Care About Yourself- Don’t be rude to yourself. You need support and you are the best person to support yourself.
- Share your emotions with someone- you can share your emotions with a friend.
- You’re Important- Don’t think you’re worthless, it’s OK to feel like that. But you have to tell yourself that you’re important.
- Talk to someone- Reconnect to your friends a bit. Do some fun conversations.
- Go to a therapist- Many of us ashamed of going to a professional. But more than 80% of patients with some medication, get out of depression after 4-6 weeks.
Depression is a cloud and you’re the sky. And someday, the cloud had to pass. Just take small steps. Since that day I started taking actions to help myself. Day by day, things got better, but I still have days that can be tough.
I still have bad days but that feeling of numbness and darkness has gone. I feel alive again I feel happy again and I feel like I have a purpose to live again, because I believed in myself.
The fact is recovery is terrifying and may feel impossible at times. But we need to keep leaning in to it, pushing ourselves. Because even though it is uncomfortable, and we have to deal with things and start to talk which can feel so hard, recovery is so worth it.
7 Signs of Depression
- Bottling Your Emotions
- Neglecting Friends or Hobbies
- You keep yourself busy
- Change in Appetite
- Low Self Esteem
- Decrease in Hygiene
Tips to not to fell depressed
- Care About Yourself
- Share your emotions with someone
- You’re Important
- Talk to someone
- Go to a therapist